This is supposed to be pineapple bars… I think it turned out more like a crisp, though if I am careful I can get an entire piece out instead of a spoonful… I was worried it might be too rich, and sweet… But I don’t think they are too much of either. I changed the recipe I had a bit, and think it turned out pretty well. I included the recipe I used with my variations below in case you might want to try it out.
- 1 can crushed pineapple with juice (15-1/2 – 16 oz)
- 1 C white sugar
- 2 1/2 T cornstarch
- 1 T butter
- 1 T lemon juice
- 3/4 C shortening
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/2 C rolled oats
- To Make Pineapple Filling: Mix 1 can crushed pineapple and juice, 1 cup sugar, 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch, 1 Tablespoon butter, and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Cook until thickened, cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together shortening, vanilla and sugar thoroughly. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in rolled oats. Mixture should have a crumby texture. Press and flatten half of the mixture over bottom of a 13 x 9 1/2 x 2 inch greased pan. Spread with cooled filling.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture, patting lightly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool, cut into bars and remove from pan if desired