Happy Birthday to me! This is my first ever attempt at not only a German Chocolate cake from scratch, but also a layer cake… I think that I hit a home run with it! I been craving a good German Chocolate cake, and what you get in the store or at the “evil empire” all are just too heavy and dense, not to mention the icing leaves a lot to be desired… So couple weeks ago I decided that I would bake my own cake for my birthday… This day couldn’t have come soon enough… Watching the old figure demands a “good reason” for such cheating… Oh yeah, weight be damned… I’m a gonna eat the shit outta this cake & not worry bout the fat factor until the thing is gone! Bwahahaha!!!
See below for the recipe I used…
- 4 (1 ounce) squares German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 12 fluid ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line bottom of 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- Microwave chocolate and water on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stir halfway through. Stir until all is melted and smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat after each addition until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Pour into 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely, then frost with coconut-pecan frosting.
- Combine milk, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 4 egg yolks and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in large saucepan. Cook and stir on medium heat for about 12 minutes, or until thick and golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature, and spreading consistency.